Tiffany & Company History

Tiffany & Company (also known as Tiffany’s) is a luxury jewelry retailer with its headquarters located in New York, United States. Tiffany & Co. is known for selling jewelry, crystal, china, sterling silver, watches, water bottles, fragrances, personal accessories, leather goods and a whole lot of other items.

Most of the goods sold at Tiffany’s are also sold via direct mailing and corporate merchandising. Renowned for luxury goods, Tiffany’s is precisely known for its diamond jewelry and markets itself as a leader of taste and style.

Let’s go ahead to take a look at Tiffany & Co. history:

Tiffany & Co. History

New York City in the 1830s experienced a surge and great opportunity for any person with just a little capital and so much imagination. In 1837, two entrepreneurs, Charles Lewis Tiffany and John B. Young grabbed the opportunity presented to them by opening a store for stationery and fancy goods with an advance of $1,000 gotten from Tiffany’s father.

Going to the new emporium at 259 Broadway, they observed fashionable ladies wearing satins, silks and beribboned bonnets on the narrow streets teeming with carriages and horses. This was where the emerging “American style” came from moving away from the conventional European style. The young men were simply inspired by the natural world which they interpreted in their fashion.

The company got its first international recognition at the 1867 Paris world fair where it was awarded the grand prize for silver craftsmanship. This was the first time an American design company was honored on the international level. Tiffany & co. was also the first indigenous company in America to employ the British silver standard which was 92% of which the U.S. government adopted it later.

The first American school of design was Tiffany & co. silver studio where apprentices were trained to observe and sketch nature, and also explore the various collections of artwork and sketches that Edward C. Moore, the head of the studio and celebrated silversmith, had assembled. Tiffany & co., by 1870, had become the premier silversmith and purveyor of timepieces and jewels in the United States. By the time the 20th century just started, the company had employed over a thousand personnel with branches in Geneva, Paris, and London.

Tiffany acquired one of the world’s biggest and finest yellow diamonds in 1878 in South Africa. The diamond was cut from 287.42 carats to 128.54 carats with 82 facets under the guidance of Dr. George Frederick Kunz, a gemologist at Tiffany & co.

At the annual Blue Book collection, the legacy of Tiffany design is talked about which feature the company’s most spectacular jewels. The Tiffany Blue Book which was initially published in 1845 was the first of such to be distributed since 1878 in the U.S.

By 1902, following the death of Charles Lewis Tiffany, his son, Louis Comfort Tiffany became Tiffany’s first art director who was already a leading designer when his position was established in 1882. He created an amazing range of designs, from leaded glass which was technically brilliant to colorful enameled jewels. Throughout this period, prominent members of the society in America patronized Tiffany & co which included President Abraham Lincoln who purchased a seed pearl for his wife in 1861.

In the beginning of the 20th century, Tiffany designs got so much attention and changing trends over the years. Tiffany china made ready White House dinners while Tiffany jewels accented the nice looking clothes of the most glamorous women in the world. Initially, Jean Schlumberger created jewels for them after arriving Tiffany in 1956.

Apart from Schlumberger, several visionary designers were welcomed at Tiffany’s which included Elsa Peretti who transformed jewelry designs of the 1970s with an elegant simplicity depended on natural forms and Paloma Picasso who joined in 1980 with jewels having bold originality.

Throughout the history of the company, Tiffany designers get inspiration from nature which is the source of precious metals and gemstones for making designs. By 2012, Tiffany celebrated its 175th anniversary with Tiffany diamonds being reset. After going on a journey for gala celebrations in Asia, Europe, and the U.S., the diamond is returned to its original place of honor on the Main Floor of Tiffany Avenue store.

This gem symbolizes a heritage of the highest standards excellence of design and quality. Tiffany & co. has been sustained by these standards making it a great institution having more than 200 stores all over the world.

Article resource: http://www.getpersonalizedjewelry.com/knowledge

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *